Friday, February 25, 2011

"The Best of Broadway!" by Aimée.

"BROADWAY MELODY: 
SOME OF THE BEST SONGS FROM BROADWAY!"

I can't sleep. I'd like to say it's because my t.v. shows were so exciting tonight before they went on a five week hiatus, but really it's because I've got Rachel Berry's rendition of "Don't Rain on my Parade," from Glee stuck in my head.  



Which got me thinking about the best songs from Show Biz. Having acted/danced/sung in two musical reviews and in 
Fiddler on the Roof and Cinderella, and having had season tickets to the Providence Performing Arts Center for a decade growing up, I've heard a few great tunes and I'd like to share them with you today.

Aimée's Embarassing but fun Acting Repertoire:
 
 
Performing "You Can't Stop the Beat"
from Hairspray in a Musical Review with
Triboro Musical Theater,
Attleboro, MA in Jan of '05.


Performing "Dentist" from Little
Shop of Horrors,

 with the Carollwood Players 2008.


           
                         Performing "Cell Block Tango" from  Chicago
                  with the Carollwood Players in 2008.


With the mainstream success of a musical television show such as Glee, I've been enjoying the comeback of a lot of Broadway hits. The oldest song I've loved from the first show I ever saw on Broadway is "All I Ask of You," from The Phantom of the Opera.



Another little know, but great show, The Scarlet Pimpernel, most famously sung by the amazingly talented Linda Eder, was both romantic and funny. The French Revolution period clothes I remember were quite colorful...especially for the men! Linda Eder also reached new heights (literally) with her rendition of "Man of La Mancha," nailing a fourth octave note only hit previously by Mariah Carey. Stick around for the note from 2:15 to 2:29! 


As for beautiful duets, nothing beats Heather Headley and Adam Pascal's chilling "Written in the Stars," revelation in Aida.


If you can't get enough of these two Broadway powerhouses, click here to watch their other duet...

Of course, Broadway hasn't been the same since Rent came out in 1996. The most famous song, "Seasons of Love," became an instant high school movie montage classic, but it had other powerful songs mixed in throughout. 


("Finale B," from Rent.)

A Viral Internet YouTube success of last year, Harry Potter: The Musical, a parody which starred Darren Criss (currently playing Blaine on Glee) is a must-have for my Best of Broadway. Even though it wasn't on Broadway per se, it is still amongst the funniest and most original book-to-musical creations in history. Check out the hilarious opener and stick around at least for Draco's "Totally Awesome" reprise in Part II.




 
A recent addition to Disney's hit musical Beauty and the Beast after the 1992 film: is the song "Human Again," which has been added to the most recent DVD as well as performed at Disney's show in Hollywood Studios and on Broadway. Check it out below!



Then I dragged my mom to see Mamma Mia! not realizing that she hated Abba, but we both enjoyed it. Especially the song, "Lay all Your Love on Me," (check out Amanda Seyfried's version from the movie below.)




Alright- that's enough for today, I hope you enjoy the clips! :)